Human Rights Ecuador
Analysis of the human rights situation in Ecuador

Also available in / También disponible en: Spanish

September 30 2010, Correa exposes himself to the angry mob

“If you want to kill the president, kill me!”

30S results: 5 dead y 200 injured

The 30th of September of 2012 was a fatal day for democracy in Ecuador in which President Rafael Correa put the country at edge for his intolerance, his lack of equanimity and restraint. Correa confronted and provoked an angry police unit that was armed and out of control. The events resulted in five deaths and hundreds of injured. Even so, Correa took advantage of the events to remove the police high command and to justify the persecution of political opponents such as Fidel Araujo of the PSP Party, Colonel Carrion, director of the National Police Hospital- who he admonished for having told a U.S. TV network that the president was not threatened or had been kidnapped- and other activists such as Carlos Vera, Alejandra Cevallos, Pablo Guerrero and even former President Lucio Gutiérrez, who he described as conspirators of the 30th of September.

For a resolution to this chaotic day the army had to intervene and confront a nighttime shooting to a group of policemen who were located in the Police Hospital. The background to the events has not been revealed and is until today the president’s best guarded secret and vehemtely defended by him. The determination of the government to pretend to patent as intellectual property of the government the acronyms of 30S and 30th of September borders on the ridiculous and was done with the intent to control everything that is said about the events of this fateful day.

A colonel is branded as “silly” by President Correa

Colonel César Carrión was ousted from his position as director of the National Police Hospital for having declared to CNN that the president had not been kidnapped. He was in disgrace with the president, who ordered in a public outcry that he be removed and processed as a conspirator, violating his right in a flagrant manner his right to free expression, of due process and judicial impartiality. The colonel spent 116 days in jail and due to the lack of evidence against him and the courageous resistance of his relatives, he had to be released.